Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Market, Harry's, and the Taj Hotel

Started the day with a quick breakfast and then went to a big market. Hope to get some pictures uploaded later.

Highlight: tasting and buying a metric-shit-load of crazy spices.
Lowlight: new and interesting smells in the slaughter house (I was the only one to check it out in my family). wasn't allowed to take any photos in there... highest crow-density I've seen so far.

The market was pretty interesting. Guys in a 6'x3' box selling nothing but perfume, next to someone selling fruits and veggies, next to someone selling candy and cereal. Very crowded.

Next we went to Harry's. He sells jewelry, rugs, touristy type wood carvings and scarves. Harry kept bragging that Clinton, Kerry, Bush, Pelosi, etc etc have visited his store. Harry loves people from the school my sister works at, so we were getting hooked up (or so he kept telling us.) I spent way way way too much money on jewelry. Srsly, I got my shopping 90% done on day 2.

Dear girlfriends: you're going to love your x-mas presents.

After that we walked around and checked out some architecture and ended up having I food at a nice restaurant. (dinner for 7 cost around $40).

Then we checked out the Taj hotel next to a big arch, and I totally got scammed by a small girl child.

She started off telling me she liked my tattoos. Then she showed me her 3 tattoos (very young girl, Indian tattoo parlors must not have such strict 18-years-old-only rules). Next, she tried to tie some flowers around my wrist. I declined and she said "No Money" (the little liar). 30 seconds after I let her tie the flowers on me, she wanted 10 RU (about 20 cents). The flowers were nice, so I gave her the 10 and didn't feel so bad.

Being scammed is so much more pleasant when you're aware of it, and willing agree instead of realizing after the fact.

Made it home a little bit ago and opened some token x-mas presents.

Lovely day.

Imma gonna try to go jump on flickr and upload some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment